My mum, the pilot

Once upon a time, a little girl was told that women shouldn’t fly airplanes …

I grew up knowing ‘mum flew planes’. This was one of a series of simple facts in my childhood: my sister and I were born in London; our parents came from India; dad sang; mum flew.

She told us stories about her teenage flying days ‘looping the loop’ above the clouds and performing steep dives towards the ground. She’d show us her album filled with old sepia photos of her standing proudly next to a small airplane.

The logbook pages had rows of handwritten entries of all her flights, each a flying adventure and she spoke about them with excitement and emotion, tinged with a hint of longing to be up amongst the clouds again.

Our mum, Dhira Chaliha, got her flying wings in 1961, at the age of 21, in India and to us as children, it held no amazement because we had grown up with the fact. But clearly for a woman at that time in that place, it wasn’t ordinary.

It was exceptional.

Not just because flying required formidable courage in small planes without parachutes or radio contact, but the courage to break the mould and trail-blaze – in the 1960s, when women had barely made it out of the home in to an office and many people held the belief that the skies were no workplace for a woman.

***

Mum was born in 1940 in Assam, British India, and as a child, would climb trees to get a closer look at the warplanes that made bombing runs to and from the Burma battlefront. I can’t help thinking, it was perhaps high up in those branches of a backyard tree, while her three sisters played on the ground, that the seeds of her dream were first planted.

Too often the sands of time scratch away at the dreams of youth – reality sucks the air out of them, and detractors burn away the oxygen. Perhaps her dream would have died but for one winter’s evening at home in 1959, in the light of a paraffin lamp, she came across an announcement in a newspaper:

The youth of the region are invited to apply
for 6 fully funded training scholarships
to become pilots within two years.
Apply for interview.
Assam Flying Club, Gauhati Airport, Jalukbari

Her father agreed at once, her mother wasn’t happy. I never fault my grandma for having those thoughts. They were the thoughts of their time, not before. She was born in the late 1800s when women in India got married to men arranged by parents, to look after the home and when women around the world didn’t even have a say or a vote. My grandma must have thought, how did airplanes fit in to their life? Flying was bizarre. Untraditional. What would people think? This could affect her marriage chances. She just wanted the best for her loved daughter in the way she had always known.

My grandfather, Kamaleshwar Chaliha, was a man years ahead of his time, a Gandhi-ite of simple living and high thinking, a professional writer and poet, an egalitarian who invited so-called ‘untouchables’ in the neighbourhood for meals in his house. His was the final say and it was strangely poetic and a tad paradoxical that patriarchy had liberated my mum to fly.

Two weeks after the interview, the postman handed her a letter. Out of thousands of applicants, she had won a flying scholarship and she was elated.

***

On the enrolment day, at 4 am, an Assam Flying Club jeep arrived to pick her up with the other trainees and so started a routine that would happen twice a week for the next two years.

The flying lessons took place at sunrise before her college classes, on small two-seater propeller airplanes, the legendary Tiger Moth and the native Pushpak. Her log book lists all the training manoeuvres; ‘loop the loops’; ascents; forced landings in paddy fields that made the plane bump along in clouds of dust; diving towards the ground before pulling level; ‘figures-of-eight’ and low flying.

Although the lessons were exhilarating, college classes and going home must have paled in to the mundane in comparison. Her mother was still not happy about her daughter taking flying lessons and would lock the front door every evening and hide the key, but my mum would listen carefully from her bed for the tell-tale sound, the slight tap of a key on wood, so she would know exactly on which shelf or door-frame it was hidden.

***

One morning the flying instructor told her she was ready for her first solo flight. “Just watch your descent angle when you land,” he advised before wishing her luck and hopping out of the cockpit. She was taken aback for a few moments but then ran through the training in her head.

A hangar-hand pushed downwards sharply on the front propellors which whizzed in to life; the engine spluttered then roared at the touch of the throttle; the plane hummed; the chocks were pulled away; the plane taxied forward.

She picked up speed and pulled on the joystick, the grass verges on the runway started to blur. Gradually, the plane became airborne and climbed as she sank deeper into her seat. And that was it. Her very first solo flight.

Now there was only her, the aircraft the early orange sun in a sapphire blue sky and the intense lightness of being free. Exaltation. Elation. Joy.

***

Assam has many small airstrips most of them created during the Second World War and her solo flights took her zig-zagging across the skies, from Gauhati to Tezpur, Jorhat or Shillong, and back just in time for college classes.

Air traffic control was rudimentary to say the least: without radios to communicate, gaining permission to land was simply a case of circling the airstrip until the light at the control tower turned green.

***

During one notable solo flight, her airplane was caught in a violent monsoon thunderstorm, buffeted in dark clouds, with deafening thunder claps that made her ear drums sing and hurt. She describes the incident as if it there was some power outside the plane who was determined to counter her every manoeuvre to see her perish – every time she pushed to level the plane, heavy turbulence would try to push the plane the opposite way, taking it out of control. She eventually managed to ascend the monsoon storm in to tranquil blue sky.

It’s evident from her stories that mum had a rebellious-teen streak too – in the early 1960s, a huge bridge was being constructed over the Brahmaputra River at Saraighat in Gauhati and construction had started with huge pillars rising from the river bed. She dared to fly between the pillars nearly getting the undercarriage wet – this clearly wasn’t part of the training.

In March 1961, hundreds of people gathered in the village of Azara by the airport to spot a small buzzing dot in the sky, to catch a glimpse of the Assamese girl who flew.

After 60 hours of solo flight, Dhira Chaliha, became north east India’s first female pilot. She was aged just 21.

***

If she had been a man, she could have perhaps pursued her career further and gone on to earn her commercial pilot’s licence, to fly airliners, but things are more complex for a woman, especially in India.

Two years later she got married to my dad and came to London, where she continued to fly in Biggin Hill in Kent – each time, my dad would have to explain that he wasn’t the pilot, but the diminutive woman in a sari by his side. Soon, she had to choose between family and career. Her dream beckoned further, but she chose her family.

Nevertheless, those years, when she soared above eagles, between jealous clouds, gave her an unshakeable self-belief. Today she helps inspire young women in north-east India, a role model for women to achieve their dreams no matter the odds.

Today, nearly half a century later, when boarding a flight she still feels an urge to turn towards the cockpit not the cabin. She still harbours a desire to go up in a small plane once more and take its controls. Her eyes light up at the very thought.

It won’t surprise me if she does one day, for she’s my mum… the pilot.

***

PICTURE GALLERY

img_1531

Dhira Chaliha on the day she became the first female pilot of North East India

***

223 Comments Add yours

1. Pyjamas and Prosecco says:

Loved this story, what an inspiration your Mum must have been to the other young women of her age. Even now! Thankyou for sharing.

Liked by 4 people

2. Wow! An exceptional and courageous woman. I wished she followed that career path further, she obviously was passionate about flying. Well, family is important too. A wonderful piece- thanks for sharing.

Liked by 5 people

1. heyloons says:

Thanks Karen. Yes I think she did want to, but other factors came in to the equation (family, leaving India for England, marriage etc.).
      I am sure she will fly once more :0)

3. beautiful mom and amazing story! 🙂

Liked by 5 people

1. heyloons says:

Thanks I’ll pass on the compliment to her.

Liked by 1 person

4. What a beautiful glimpse into the fascinating and complex life a woman with big dreams and huge capabilities. The choice, ahhhhh. I hope she felt like she got both things. I hope she found some peace.

Liked by 5 people

1. heyloons says:

Thanks Utterimperfection. Glad you enjoyed it. I think looking back it all she is a very happy and fulfilled person.

5. Tjohnson says:

Inspiring! Your mom’s story is beautiful!

Liked by 5 people

6. Saurav Tedd says:

Such a nice story
    I hail from India
    I know what it means for a women to fly daring the society and parents
    I am so proud of your mother
    I never knew the story before
    It awesome
    Hatsoff to the courage!!

Liked by 5 people

7. Fascinating. . Huge Respect to your Mother. Hats off…
    _/\_ 🙂

Liked by 6 people

8. A very incredible story. Such a brave-hearted lady. The word ‘Assam’ caught my eye as I too hail from Assam. And now after reading this I feel so much proud about it. It is a story unknown to most people and I believe that people should be aware of it.

Liked by 5 people

9. da-AL says:

thanks for sharing – love this!!!

10. da-AL says:

Reblogged this on Happiness Between Tails by da-AL and commented:
    I love true stories about courageous women, don’t you? Enjoy this thanks to fellow blogger Heyloons …

1. heyloons says:

Thanks so much for the reblog and glad you enjoyed the story.

11. da-AL says:

love so much have just reblogged 🙂

Liked by 3 people

12. heyloons says:

Thank you all so much for your lovely feedback and positive comments. I had my nephew read some of these comments to her on the phone and she was over-whelmed by your appreciation. I’m going to print off these and send them to her (and then look up flights in small plane for her later on this year!)

Liked by 1 person

13. I am an Assamese guy brought up in Assam. I just wanna say Dhonyobad to your mum for being such an inspiration and a role model to the women of North East India. And thanks to you for sharing the story with the masses.

Liked by 3 people

1. heyloons says:

Hi Bisawdeep, thanks for such a thoughtful comment. I will certainly pass on your thanks to her.

14. Wiggy says:

I loved reading this. Your mother did an amazing thing in a time when women were rarely given or allowed such wonderful opportunities. She must have many, interesting stories to tell and I am sure you will never tire of hearing them. Should you share any more of her stories, I for one, would love to read them. Thank you for sharing her story.

Liked by 3 people

1. heyloons says:

Thanks a lot. Over the years she suddenly tells us little anecdotes that she’s never told us before. There was one time she decided to fly above the family house and saw her mum drying clothes on a line. It’s kind of surrreal now to think that my grandma would look up and say to the neighbours perhaps, something like, ‘there goes my flygirl’. I would like to take her up in a small airplane again and just observe her, perhaps more memories will come flooding back.

Liked by 3 people

15. Princess says:

Proud of your mum……..Nice to find your relationship with Our Assam 🙂

1. heyloons says:

Thanks Princess. I will pass on the message to her.

1. Princess says:

You are most welcome 🙂 🙂 Oh thanks 🙂 🙂

16. indummawrites says:

fascinated!!! thank you for sharing this inspiring historic fact from your life! 🙂

Liked by 3 people

17. keerthisk9 says:

Woowwwwwww 😀 … Hats off to her 😀😀

Liked by 3 people

18. wycmum says:

Absolutely beautiful story! Get your mum back on a plane, I’m sure it will all come back to her and she’d be so happy!

Liked by 3 people

1. heyloons says:

You’re absolutely right! I’m going to do that and I’ll report back on her experience.

1. wycmum says:

In fact, right behind where I live in High Wycombe, we have an air strip where BA newbies train on little Cessna’s. my husband did a flight there once and he said the views of the Chilterns were astounding, different to Assam but your mum might enjoy the views 😉

2. heyloons says:

Thanks for the tip, I’ll certainly look in to it. The chilterns aren’t quite the Himalayan foothills, but they are so pretty.

19. Brilliant message 🙂

Liked by 3 people

20. Ankahee says:

Wonderful! I think the picture beside your lovely post, where she stands smiling, is very powerful and inspiring indeed.

1. heyloons says:

Thanks. Yes I love that too. I have the original framed on my fireplace.

21. baestasia says:

Love this post, your mom is incredibly brave and inspiring ! Thank you for sharing !

22. Riselle says:

This is so inspiring and beautifully written. Well done Mum. There is a lesson to be learned for women of all ages here. Thank you for posting your mum’s story.

1. heyloons says:

Thanks Rosella. I’ll pass on congratulations to mum.

23. Ratika Deshpande says:

This was so beautifully written! Thanks for sharing!

24. Doctor Didi says:

Admirable and inspiring. I appreciate the spirit and courage of her back in those days. It’s like she got her wings of determination.

25. Dustin hughes says:

What a great woman!She proved the common perception in those days that men were the only ones that were meant to fly wrong. She made history, god bless her.

Liked by 2 people

26. Your mom was a lady that loved to push the envelope .. A free spirit … Amazing things she did not caring if she was a women . Girl after my own heart … Need some of her courage …

Liked by 2 people

27. She is an inspiration for all of us. I can’t even imagine how much courage she must have needed to do something way out of the league for the women of that era.

28. Denise Hisey says:

I adore how fearless your mum was, and how extraordinary! What a remarkable woman she is!! How lovely you have these wonderful photos to share, too.

1. heyloons says:

Thanks Denise. Yes mum still keeps all her things from her flying days, log book, boots and even her flying wings badge.

1. Denise Hisey says:

Well she should!!

29. Pingback: prof.samblog.net
  30. Saransh Soni says:

A very gracefully written memory…. Worth reading…

1. Saransh Soni says:

Your welcome…..

31. phatymah says:

This is very inspiring. I wish she continued flying.

1. heyloons says:

Thanks. I’ll make the suggestion to mum. Perhaps one more flight in a small plane. We’ll see. I know she would love it.

32. Tiasha Som says:

Salute to the girl power!!😏

33. Peppermint Sweets says:

Inspiring read!!! I love it!

Liked by 2 people

34. Thank you for sharing this story. I have been moved. I salute your mom and i wish she could have continued soaring towards the skies.

Liked by 2 people

35. Your mum’s an inspiring woman! She has been admirable because she stood against the traditions of her time. I’m sure she must have influenced you to go for your dreams to. 🖒

1. heyloons says:

Yes she been a big influence on my sister and me. She’s a positive minded person, confident and speaks her mind.

36. TheAcropolis says:

Truly inspiring! Sometimes we forget how courageous it is to simply let go of doubt and embrace the life we wish to live. Whether that be soaring through the skies, or setting it aside for the ones you love. Theres no stronger people in this world than mums!

37. dorothyadele says:

She was ahead of her time and place. Amazing story and great photos

38. Reblogged this on .

Thanks very much !

39. freakyfoody says:

Thank you for sharing your mum’s story with us. I sincerely felt moved by reading about what she had achieved in such a difficult time for women. She is a truly inspiring person, and it’s so meaningful that later on she spent her time inspiring other women. Many people would love to read the whole story in a book!

1. heyloons says:

Thanks, I’m glad you felt inspired by mum. I’ll certainly pass on your suggestion to her about a book. She has so many stories about those days.

40. N says:

That’s a very insipiring story, You mum was quite a lady!

Liked by 2 people

41. Your mom sounds like an incredible woman – what a great role model you have! I’m so glad you shared this story it’s so inspiring to hear about accomplishments throughout time of women who were ahead of their time.

Caitlin
    wandererandwolf.com

1. heyloons says:

You’re right, I am lucky to have her as a role model. As a child I just thought nothing of it ‘ mum’s a pilot, AND?’ But as I got older the story held a fascination for me as the context emerged. I’ll be printing off these comments for her and sending them in a letter. She’ll be thrilled.

42. Heyo! I curated this in a weekly curation I amm… curate (:D)
    View story at Medium.com

Liked by 2 people

43. Wow what an inspiring woman you mum is. It’s women like her who make me feel so proud being a woman. And I totally understand how brave she must be to break the stigma and dare to be different in a society where she was not appreciated for her exceptional bravery. My hats off to her. I don’t know why but right now I am bit nostalgic after reading her story. I wish someday if I have my own children they would have some reason to take pride in me like you are doing. Thank you for sharing this inspiring message. I am inspired!

1. HeyLoons says:

Thanks, I’m so happy you took inspiration from this story. I’ll let my mum know too, as I’ll be printing off these comments and sending them in a letter to her.

44. Great!👏🏼👏🏼 And beautiful pictures👍🏻